Medicated dog shampoo is the best shampoo suited for dogs with skin conditions like red lashes, skin inflammation and hot spots. Such conditions require the use of special shampoos to deal with them.
Medicated dog shampoo is specially designed to act on the problematic areas and resolve the affliction or disease causing your pooch to suffer. However, these shampoos are not to be used at all times but only when your dog has special conditions like skin diseases.
Benefits of Using Medicated Dog Shampoo
- They are specially designed to target and resolve the afflicted areas. They help improve the dog’s skin condition thus relieving your dog from its suffering.
- Medicated dog shampoo is designed to act immediately providing the much-needed relief to your pooch. It is instantaneous.
- Medicated dog shampoos are manufactured under very highly regulated conditions which increase their effectiveness. The chemical quantity put in the shampoo is stipulated in the formula no more no less. These measures help reduce the likelihood of undesired side effects. The regulations also help maintain the effectiveness of the medicated dog shampoo.
Categories of Medicated Dog Shampoos
Medicated dog shampoos are categorized into five types. These are antiseborrheic shampoos, antifungal shampoos, antibacterial shampoos, antipruritic shampoos, and cleaning and moisturizing shampoos.
1. Antiseborrheic shampoos: These are shampoos that are designed to eliminate the scaling that takes place on the surface of the dog’s skin.
These shampoos include tar based, benzoyl peroxide based shampoos, selenium sulfide, salicylic and sulfur based shampoos. They are specifically designed to eliminate all microbial action causing skin discomfort or disturbances. Products such as selenium sulfide can be used where degreasing is required.
2. Antifungal shampoos: They are most effective when used to prevent or remove fungal infections on the dog’s skin.
3. Antibacterial shampoos: Shampoos containing chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide and ethyl lactate fall under the same category. Ethyl lactate is formulated with a 13% concentration which is sufficient to act and eliminate all undesired bacterial activity.
4. Antipruritic shampoos: Most of the shampoos in this category are oatmeal based. Oatmeal granules help reduce the itching that happens as a result of the oatmeal granules absorbing the allergens.
5. Cleaning and moisturizing shampoos: These shampoos do not require soap to clean. They help rehydrate the coat after it is dehydrated by harsh chemicals.
Medicated Dog Shampoo Brands
A. Anti-microbial and Anti-fungal Dog Shampoo
These shampoos help to treat ringworms. It is also effective when used on dogs with infections and infestations. Below are some of the shampoos that are produced under this brand:
1. Savatet Micotix Shampoo: used to prevent fungal infections and ringworms as well as treat them. It has a special addition to its working mechanism where it uses the Kashmir fragrance. The Kashmir fragrance lasts long and it is very effective against all bacterial infections that cause bad odors. Savatet Micotix Shampoo also helps maintain a healthy and shiny coat that is easy to maintain.
2. Melaseb Medicated Shampoo: this shampoo is suitable to use on both dogs and puppies. It is effective in removing grease, bad odor, and scales from the skin. It removes fungal or bacterial infections and also prevents growth in the future. It helps treat seborrheic dermatitis, a condition that causes dandruff and eczema.
B. Tar and Coal Shampoo
These help in cases where the dogs have excessive scratching and itching caused by skin disorders. They help calm and ease the dog in cases where the dog either has psoriasis, rashes, dermatitis, redness or hot spots. Below are some of the shampoos that fall under this category:
1. Bio-Groom Bio-Med Dog Shampoo: this shampoo works on the problems mentioned above to relieve and calm the irritation. It is a shampoo based on tar and coal. It easily lathers and gentle on the dog’s skin. Has a 4% ethanol content which is a major ingredient used in solving numerous skin issues.
C. Selenium Sulfide Based Shampoos
These shampoos help with skin thickening that occurs when the dog’s skin dries up and starts becoming flaky. Some of these shampoos include:
1. SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula: This shampoo is antifungal, anti-parasitic, anti-bacterial and antipruritic. Below are some of the shampoos that fall under this category:
2. Oatmeal Medicated Shampoo: It helps relieve scaling, flea bite dermatitis, dandruff and hot spots. It has vitamin E; proteins obtained from wheat grain and tea tree oil that helps maintain the fragrance for long as well as moisturize the skin.
Benzoyl Peroxide Based Shampoo
These shampoos are designed to treat all skin problems that affect a dog’s hair follicles. These skin problems include Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome which fills the hair follicles along the dog’s spine with pus. These bumps with pus are as a result of the sebaceous glands blocking.
1. DermaBenSS( Benzoyl Peroxide Shampoo): It is enriched with vitamin E and salicylic acid. The shampoo helps to correct oily skin, skin fold infections, acne, and staph.
Precautions When Using Medicated Dog Shampoo
- Consult a vet before using coal and tar based shampoos since they may cause itching. The vet will advise you on the quantity and duration of use.
- Take caution when using shampoos with salicylic acid since they may cause severe drying of the coat’s moisture.
- Shampoos used to treat dandruff can result in hair shedding. If the shedding persists seek a vet and cease using the shampoo.
- The frequency and amount of usage should be regulated.
- Benzoyl peroxide has several side effects. These are redness, mild dryness, peeling, skin dryness, and irritation.
Medicated dog shampoos are very useful, especially when catering for dogs with special needs. However, these shampoos also have several shortcomings that ought to be addressed and it is, therefore, imperative to consult your vet before using them.