Technology is advancing really fast. Daily chores are being automated and making life easier. Dog feeding has not been left out either. Automatic pet feeders are already widely used by dog owners. Automatic dog feeders can be very useful when it comes to feeding your dog in case you are not around. The best automatic dog feeders come in various styles and colors suitable for any home.
They are, however, not intended to replace the human touch in your dog’s diet and daily life. Do ample research before choosing the best automatic dog feeder to use in your home.
Our 5 Top Picks of Best Automatic Dog Feeders
|Petsafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed– Editors Choice||A+||$$$|
|PetSafe Automatic Pet Feeder||B+||$$|
|Petnet SmartFeeder Automatic||B+||$$$|
|Pet Feedster USA PF-10||A-||$$$|
|Oxgord Automatic Dog Feeder||B-||$$|
*The above ratings are based on expert opinions and/or on our experience with the products. Click the link above to read customer reviews and see the current prices.
Types of Automatic Dog Feeders
There are several types of automatic pet feeders, but two types stand out. These are gravity pet feeders and electronic pet feeders.
1. Gravity Pet Feeders
Gravity feeders use the principle of gravity. The feeder replenishes the food bowl every time your dog depletes the previous serving. When the bowl fills up the feeders ceases to release food into the bowl.
- Requires no programming to feed your dog which assures the owner of no mechanism failure
- Your dog gets privileges of unrestricted and unlimited access to food which could lead to obesity
2. Electronic Pet Feeders
These pet feeders give the dog owner total control on the food quantity and the feeding time. The electronic pet feeders are pre-programmed to dispense specific quantities of dog food at specific times. I prefer programmable automatic dog feeders to gravity pet feeders.
- You have total control over the amount of food and time your dog feeds. This reduces incidences of overfeeding and obesity.
- Small and regular amounts of food promote digestion
- The electronic feeder ensures that your dog’s food is equal every time. No more no less.
- Programming errors may occur especially when using products of low quality
When choosing the best automatic dog feeder opt for the electronic ones since the owner is able to control the time and food the dog eats.
Top 5 Best Automatic Feeders Currently in the Market
Here is a list of the best auto dog feeder for your dog. There are many dog feeders that we didn’t include on our list of auto dog feeder reviews because they do not work as advertised and are not durable.
Petsafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed– Editors Choice
- Its schedule can be programmed up to twelve meals in a single day
- The amount of food can be varied from 1/8 – 4 cups and the food is served using the conveyor belt system which ensures portion control and high level of accuracy.
- Has a “slow feed mode” that ensures that the meals are 15 minutes apart when dispensing them. This reduces health complications such as bloating and vomiting.
- It has an “immediate feed mode” that allows a meal to be dispensed onto the bowl immediately after the previous one
- Possesses a “pause feed mode” that lets the owner pause the feeding program and resume without data or program loss.
- The bowl is stainless steel and the hopper is non-toxic
- Has a solid and heavy-duty build that ensures that your dog’s paw cannot go up the hopper when trying to get extra food
- The machine has no level monitor to display the amount of food remaining. The owner has to open the lid and check the level.
- Feeds your dog up to 5 times a day
- You have complete control over portion size
- Simple. No unnecessary bells and whistles
- Easy clean
- Only uses batteries. No power cable
- The feeding schedule can be remotely controlled using an iOS device from anywhere in the world. This gives you total control over your dog’s feeding schedule and habits.
- Has a very sleek design and runs quietly.
- Has a backup battery that can be recharged.
- Both the bowl and the hopper are dishwasher friendly.
- Since the SmartFeeder is controlled online you lose control once there is a weak WIFI connection.
- The feeder is only compatible with iOS devices.
- The portion sizes vary from a single teaspoon to 6 cups.
- It is better than other feeders since it can be powered by both battery power and DC.
- Runs quietly and smoothly ensuring your pooch does not freak out when getting a meal.
- Has a 1-year warranty in case of mechanical failure.
- Components like the motor are not very solid in structure and could get stuck while dispensing meals like kibble.
- It has an inbuilt speaker and voice recorder that calls your dog for its meal. This machine helps to restore the social time that your dog could miss out when using an automatic feeder.
- The LCD display helps to easy access and input the scheduled program.
- The hopper is translucent thus easy to monitor food levels.
- The machine is built with sensors that prevent food overload and is jam-proof.
- Easy to detach and reassemble making the work of cleaning easy.
- Has an indicator that alerts you when the battery is low.
- The number of meals per day is limited to four meals.
- The portion sizes are limited to ½-2 ½ cups.
- You have to reprogram after changing the batteries.
Why Use an Automatic Dog Feeder?
Automatic dog feeders are machines that dispense food either by gravity or electronically pre-programming the food dispensers.
Automatic pet feeders are to a great extent very helpful to dog owners who mostly work far from home, disabled, or elderly. Automatic dog feeders when pre-programmed, can help control the amount of food your dog eats and therefore keep in check your dog’s weight.
They can also help to control conditions such as diabetes. Buy the best automatic dog feeder according to your needs and preferences.
Benefits of Using an Automatic Dog Feeder
- Automatic dog feeders ensure that your dog will never miss a meal regardless of where you are.
- Electronic feeders have added benefits such as scheduled feeding and portion control which helps control your pet’s weight or any other medical conditions.
- The use of self-contained measurements relieves the owner of the measuring task.
- Automatic Dog Feeders eliminate the need for assistance from family and friends to feed your dog when you are not around.
Downsides to Using an Automatic Dog Feeder
The use of automatic dog feeders is criticized because it replaces the human touch in a dog’s life. However, this can be counteracted by spending your free time to bond with your pooch.
What to Look for in Top Automatic Dog Feeders
- The capability to schedule more than one meal a day
- Adjustable food quantity input according to your dog’s habits and needs
- Easy programming
- A bowl structure and hopper that has less difficulties when cleaning
- Should withstand force when pushed by your dog
Choose a dog feeder that suits your needs. If you want a dog feeder that is remotely controlled then go for the Petnet smart feeder. If you prefer that your dog has unlimited access to food then go for the gravity feeder. Preferably choose a dog feeder than can allow scheduling more meals. The best automatic dog feeders will depend on your needs and preferences so choose wisely.